Like others, I'm not sure I fully understand your desired topology, but
FWIW, here are some of my experiences:

- I have tested a setup using a guruplug server plus with a USB hard
drive where both the guruplug and multiple players were connected
wirelessly to a Linksys router.  I was able to reliably stream FLAC to
multiple players.  YMMV depending on the layout of your home and the
placement of your players.

With that said, I use (and would recommend) a setup where a sheevaplug
is wired to the router and all players are wireless.
- The small size of the plug makes it easy to collocate with the router
and wire it.
- I see no reason for the added expense of either the guruplug or an
eSATA drive.
- If you are new to Linux, you can use the squeezeplug installer.
- There are fewer reports of heat issues with the sheevaplug than the
guruplug and they seem to have been addressed sooner.

I have no experience with the soundcheck recommendations.  Personally,
I assume that their setup really does provide measurable improvements.
I also assume that the quality of both my ears and the rest of my
equipment will never allow me to hear such a difference.

--
Mark Miksis