Hi everyone, first post.
Been lurking here from sometimes, as I had a Squeezebox Classic, but my
desktop is a well-spec'ed PC with matching power hunger, and I do not
like the idea to let the thing on all day for listening music.
So I was interested in the Touch, and eventually bought it 4 days ago.
It would be ideal to use a portable HD (WD passport 320 GB), since I
already had that and used it for my music library backup anyway. But
reading the posts here I was afraid it was not going to work, because
it is powered by the USB.
However, it works quite nice, after some small initial problems.
I use a Russ Andrews Squeezepak as PS, that I had bought for the
Classic).
Yesterday I was curious if the PS still made a difference with the
sound on the Touch as it did on the Classic, so I installed the
standard PS; guess what happened? The HD was no longer recognized by
the Touch, no matter what I did.
Re-inserting the Squeezepak restored things.
So the conclusion seems to be that the PS can also help to get a
portable HD going, though I would not advice to take the gamble, since
you still have the chance that it would not work.

I also compared the Classic and the Touch (both SPDIF connected to an
Audio-GD Reference5 DAC with FLAC files).
Sound quality wise the difference is clearly noticable, the Classic
having a softer, more rounded sound with more seeming depth, the Touch
being more precise and more forward.
I suppose this difference is caused by the Classic injecting more RFI
and/or jitter in the signal, and the Touch seems to have a cleaner
digital signal, but truth being told, I quite like the musical, softer
sounds coming out of the Classic. But the Touch sound is very good to,
and I probably have to get used to the added precision.
Hope this helps someone, as I got a lot of help from the very well
informed helpful people here.

Best, Lex

--
Dura