adamdea;577147 Wrote:
> I haven't tried out the modded audiocom XDAC without the XPSU but am
> tempted to experiment now. I have always found it as bit odd that it
> only steps down 240VAC to 24 VAC, as I would have assumed that the
> point of an external PSU would be to keep to AC/DC conversion outboard.
> It made me wonder whether it really made that much difference. I did pay
> for a full mod of sorts, but I was told that an ealier modding attempt
> had made it impossible to fit their normal regulators. They used
> something else which may or may not have been quite as good.
> As a matter of interest did they do anyhtign to your X 10D/ Perhaps i
> should send them theat, although it occurred to me that the better the
> op amps in the DAC the more doubtful the X10D would become.
> I am very interests in the Digital room corection, and I suspect that
> my next step might be to try out inguz. I don't know how good that is
> relative to the TacT system, but i can see the sense in dealing with
> the whole thing in software before sending it to the DAC. At the moment
> though I am using a QNAP NAS which runs squeezeserver fine but would not
> have the horsepower for DRC.
> Have you read the stereophile Oct review of the touch yet. I think the
> measurements are interesting. I may start a separate post on this
> invting more technical sorts to comment on what conclusions we can
> draw.

The X-10d was rebuilt with new diodes, caps etc. Sounds "quicker" (hard
to explain). The x-10 "magic" comes from the nuvistor valves.
The DAC mod was way more important.

The X-PSU is just a very nice multi-secondary toriodal transformer in a
pretty box.  It probably has more of a benefit to the x-head amp than
anything else..

It is in fact optimal to do the AC-DC conversion in the DAC - you do
not want the regs a long way away from the circuit that uses the DC for
several reasons.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.