After about 2 months of trying to get my Touch to keep it's connection
to my (powered) usb harddrive I've pretty much come to the conclusion
that the Touch is a total joke. It'll lose connection at the drop of a
hat, sometimes half way through playing a track. It'll then refuse to
reconnect for hours at a time, even if I eject the harddrive, reboot
and reconnect. I've not got that much music (4000ish tracks, some FLAC,
some mp3) but the Touch seems to drop a wobbler at even the simplest
tasks. I've tried deleting the database and this seems to work for a
while but after a total rescan and a couple of days of ok use it'll
start to play up again and drop connection.

The Squeezebox server will throw a fit when trying to connect to the
harddrive and if I try and play music whilst it (seemingly randomly)
scans for new files it'll slow to a crawl and then crash. Oh, and it's
ability to find newly uploaded music seems completely random -
sometimes it'll find an album straight away, sometimes it'll take a day
or too to register.

I'm using the latest 7.5.1 software. I've tried using the beta drivers
to no avail.

I don't mind tinkering with kit to get it to work, but this device just
seems to defy logic when it should work fine out of the box. The
hardware seems to slow to a crawl as soon as you ask it to do more than
one thing at once (for example palying a flac whilst searching the music
database). That the Touch just won't play music seemless, straight from
a usb harddrive is totally mindblowing.

Basically, I'm pretty fed up with banging my head against the wall
trying to get this thing working with any semblance of consistency.

Please, someone convince me to stick with the Touch rather than send it
back!! Tell me the developers are working on getting the bloody thing
working with an external usb harddrive in a stable fashion!

--
Trixster