I do get it ;)

Have you expressed this on the official forum ? or contacted support ?
Can be known issues with your combo of files drives and tags etc.

I'm also writing for others benefit, logitech own sales babble does not
clearly point out how weak the internal server is .
I think people should now to not get "suckered" into it unknowingly .

That it is  small limited server not the same as the real server.

All people are not tech nerds, I probably count as one , seeing the
idea I got the "right" gut feeling directly "can this really work for
me ?"

So I'm merely pointing in a working direction :

You can :

1. Return it, stop wasting time and effort on this if the local USB
playback is the most vital feature you want to have in a network music
player, research and get another product that does this better.
Seriusly as this product does not match your needs.

2. Suffer as is tinker try a couple of other hard-drives, possibly in
ext2 or ext3 format etc yadda yadda, eventually finding a way to make
it work .

3. Run the server on real computer, don't step down in the NAS hole
thats another set of headaches limitations and weird configurations
etc, surprisingly similar to what you experience on the Touch itself
(common factor weak non x86 cpu and very bare bones OS )

It has many limitations :

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Touch_as_a_Home_Music_Server

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Setting_Up_Squeezebox_Touch_Server

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Squeezebox_Touch_Server

Personally I can not even consider it:

I have 24/96 tracks and 24/48 players so sometimes transcoding is
needed (not supported by Tiny-SC) .

My Older players do not do AAC or ALAC natively (Tiny SC does not
transcode)

I have 4 players (1 more than recomended).

2100 albums 27000 tracks .

No playlist longer than 100 tracks.

SBS does not handle playlists gracefully therefore using Erlands
different playlist plugins are vital (Tiny-SC does not support plugins)
.
(Shuffle large playlist crash the server in all versions)

I Use other apps and plugins to and where is the web-UI is important.

And I like to sometimes use the web-UI . The local servers web page for
maintaining running and  it cue up music etc, lack of web-Ui definetely
kills it for me.

I just know that I have files with large artwork some cue sheets etc
and embedded art in all my 27000 files , wonder what the tiny-SC
scanner would say ? I wouldnot have the patience to redo artwork in all
my files to get the scanner to not crash in the touch

So I'm just saying that for now the "just works" way of having a Touch
is by also running a server.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 and assorted amps
SiriuS, Classe' Primare and Dynadio speakers, Contour 4 Contour Center,
and Contour 1.3SE for the rear ch. Rel Stadium 3 sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this