Chaps, thanks for the replys, it's much appreciated.

I'm using a 1TB Western Digital mybook which has it's own power supply.
Like I said I don't mind messing with stuff but I bought the Touch for
the purpose of not having to have a pc and server running all day. I
want to be able to access all my music without having a pc running all
day long.

My point is I cannot understand why it's so rubbish at doing such a
simple thing as connecting to a usb harddrive without issue. I
shouldn't have to faff around with file structures, external servers,
hd incompatabilities - for the £250 I paid for it it should be fit for
purpose and sadly it's not.

Regarding the network - I'm using ethernet and it's connected to a new
Netgear router which has no history of internet connectivitity
problems.

--
Trixster