Ianmac;579055 Wrote:
> I have recently upgraded from a Duet to a Touch.
> When I bought my Duet I built a good linear supply and it yielded an
> appreciable sonic improvement. Research showed that the improvement
> obtained by using a Linear as opposed to the very noisy SMPS wall wart
> was dependant on the type of DAC one was using. If the DAC was good at
> handling Jitter the less the improvement.
> I originally used a CYRUS DAC where the Linear supply yielded a good
> improvement. I later bought a Benchmark and found it performed much
> better than the CYRUS with the original wall wart
> I am just getting to know the sonics of my Touch and am questioning
> whether or not I should build a Linear supply (5v 3A)
> Measuring the wall wart with a 750ma load shows a "ripple" of 5mv with
> a period of about 40Khz. This seems quite high to me (but much better
> than my duet supply) and I do not know how the 5v supply is used within
> the Touch.
> I am running SPdif from Touch into a Benchmark DAC, which has good
> jitter rejection.
>
> I note the comments that the stock supply is OK.
>
> Does anyone know the jitter levels emanating from the Touch and how
> they compare with the older Duet
>
> Ianmac

And just exactly how did you arrive at the fact that "it yielded an
appreciable sonic improvement"? Especially when there are no
improvements whatsoever even from using a battery as the power source!
There are internal switchers inside the Receiver. Since the Receiver
has internal switchers and regulators, the external power supply
basically just needs to be the proper voltage and provide adequate
current.

Testing was done with a battery, OEM, certified bench, and Linear power
supplies. Measurements were made using AudioDiffMaker and the graphs
were identical. Measurements were taken using an HP Measuring Receiver
and Network Analyzer, no differences. Extensive listening tests were
done with no differences heard.

More importantly for the Touch, the internal switchers and regulation
after the voltage change is very well done so providing smoother
cleaner input supply isn't going to do a thing. The Touch has a very
good switching power supply. Lastly on this subject, let us have some
common sense. If the Touch or any other Squeezebox needed a better
power supply it would come with one. More over it doesn't make any
sense to spend even a dollar on a power supply of a $300 component.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio