Rikk;598286 Wrote:
> I was actually thinking to a NAS, as I have the touch, one sb3 and a
> radio. Moreover, I would use it with my Samsung BD-C8200 to serve
> movies.
> Only, reading various threads, I still havent understood wich one
> should be the right one... QNAP? ReadyNAS? others? And wich model is
> powered enough?

The readynas ULTRA line are x86 processors which are powerful enough
one of this line has dual core processors. But do your homework. You'll
pay about 5 times (at least) as much for a NAS powerful enough to be a
server and it may still not be as good as an old computer running
vortexbox. This setup is the same as a NAS basically. My vortexbox
appliance allows me to serve music, movies, etc. And I can also copy
files back and forth, do backups from other computers, etc.

I've been looking at the "FitPCi". There's a version that runs windows
7 with plenty of power. You could plug in all sorts of USB drives to
this setup and not need to know anything about linux. It looks to be
about the size of a paperback book and is fanless. If my sheevaplug at
the weekend place doesn't work out, I might try one of these (as the
quiet is important as I have no place to hide it....so I'll hear it
from anywhere in the very small cottage...)

p.s. My brother's USB drive is about a 5 year old WD with its own
power. Being old is probably good (none of the fancy energy saving,
hidden boot disk, etc.)

--
garym