Rikk;598310 Wrote:
> you anticipated me.... :)
> I agree on the "old pc", a pc is always better, more flexible, but the
> problem is  the power consumption. Maybe that leaving it on 24/7 could
> be so expensive to justify an initial bigger expense for a powerfull
> NAS...

I'm not an engineer and have never measured power consumption, so I'm
speaking from mostly ignorance, but in reading a few threads on this,
it seems that the power usage of an old PC is probably highly
overstated. If you have no monitor (use it headless) or keep the
monitor off, the power savings from running a PC 24/7 vs. a new energy
efficient server may only save you, say, $5 a month. So not sure what
the payback is for a very efficient server. Now noise and size may be
worth having something newer! Again, I'd really do my homework before
investing in a NAS.  And take a very close look at a 1TB or 2TB
Vortexbox Appliance as one of the option (I'm a very satisfied
customer).

http://vortexbox.org/buy/

edit: And if you run the PC with WOL enabled, the power savings
compared to something new is probably REAllY overstated

--
garym