Kuja;599986 Wrote:
> Are you sure about this?
>
> I'm asking this, since I've been using my Touch with NOS Philips
> TDA-1541A DAC, which can only receive 16/44.1 signal.
>
> When I play 16/44.1 files everything is OK.
>
> When I tried 24/96 files, my DAC could not lock to the incoming signal.

This is interesting. The number of bits sent in the S/PDIF stream is
exactly the same whether its sending 16 or 24 bits. There is a field in
the header that says if its using the extra bits and the Touch ALWAYS
has that bit set. The only thing I can think of is that the DAC looks
at those bits and if they are not zero it doesn't play.

The volume control on the Touch would have in interesting effect with
this. IF you have the volume set at 100% and play 16/44.1 there should
not be anything in the lower bits, but if you set the volume less than
100% there will be non-zero bits down there. Does the DAC lock if you
set the volume to less than 100%?

John S.

--
JohnSwenson