doh! maybe this shows how much I don't "know" and that's OK, if I learn
something. I don't really want to learn 'everything' about this, but
would like to understand a little more than I do now ...

The status bits that are referred to are in the data stream itself,
(i.e. the original source (FLAC, AIFF ...) correct? Every word has
them, I guess. So the player cannot 'change' these without some crazy
re-whatevering on the files, and one likely wouldn't want that to be
occurring and consuming computing horsepower in the Touch or the host
computer.

Maybe some other files are indeed 'coded' this way. I at this point
only have a dozen or less 24/96 FLAC files (samples from HDTracks and
LessLoss). One would think the originators of the files would want
these 'represented' properly ... if that is indeed the case.

Oh well, thanks for comments again.

--
Rick58