I have a Drobo FS, which is a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device, on
which all my media are stored. My Drobo is connected to an Airport
Extreme, which is a Apple's wifi router. Currently I have an old
Macbook dedicated as a Squeezebox server. In this configuration, the
Squeezebox server can access the NAS over wifi, and stream music over
wifi to two Squeezebox Booms in my home.

I'm looking to replace the Macbook with a Squeezebox Touch as the
server.

However if I understand it correctly, in order to work as a server, the
Touch needs to be physically connected to a USB storage device. The only
way that the Touch can access music over wifi, the Squeezebox Server
software needs to run somewhere else. In other words, if the Touch is
not physically connected to the storage device, it can only function as
a controller.

Am I reading this wrong? Can the Touch, as a server, read from a NAS
over wifi? Can it, as a server, read from a NAS over an Ethernet cable?
Or can it only work as a server if the music is stored on a physically
attached USB drive?

-Ron.

--
rpieket