Tom186;610167 Wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> yes, I tried both - FLAC streaming and PCM streaming. Effect is the
> same, in both cases my 24/48 DAC happily plays a file that should be
> 24/96.
>
> I change the PCM/FLAC settings in Files Types. No direct editing of the
> sox parameter line. Double-checked that the same problem occurs with a
> fresh install of Squeezebox server and all the factory-set parameters.
>
> So this is really getting weird.
>
> The server shows "Bitrate: 2680kbps VBR (Converted to 1411kbps FLAC)"
> and "Bitrate: 2680kbps VBR (Converted to 1411kbps PCM)" respectively
> while playing, but I learned from these forums to disregard that
> message.
>
> So here is the whole long server log ... I played this with PCM first,
> and then using FLAC.
>
> Much appreciate you taking you look,
>
> Thomas

OK - Thomas, this is the line that shows what is happening when these
files play:

[11-02-10 23:18:47.0950] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::checkBin
(242)   Found command: [flac] -dcs --force-raw-format --endian=little
--sign=signed $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$
[11-02-10 23:18:47.0952]
Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::getConvertCommand2 (424) Matched:
flc->pcm via: [flac] -dcs --force-raw-format --endian=little
--sign=signed $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$

A word of caution, by the way... if you ever try and play 192 or 176.4
files they won't work if you stream them as PCM...

There is NO downsampling going on here, so - assuming that what is
playing is indeed a 96khz file (can't tell from the log) -  the obvious
conclusion is that the rDac optical input can in fact handle 96khz! -
which wouldn't surprise me, since my 10 year-old Linn 5103 can!

Downsampling is done by sox.exe, so if you open up (Windows)Task
Manager while a track is playing and sox.exe is NOT running then no
downsampling is occurring.

Maybe someone else with an rDac can confirm?

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - INGUZ DRC - MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) -
Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK
10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber
Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.