The ticks here are happening when using the "plug" layer which is used
when the data coming in is a different format or sample rate than what
the hardware can handle. Switching to the direct hardware layer
prevents the ticks, but then if the format of the data doesn't match
what the hardware can support, it doesn't even boot.

It looks like I need to come up with a procedure for people to
determine exactly what formats/rates their DACs support. Then figure
out how to get the system setup to make sure that gets fed to the DAC.

So for now, first try the asound.conf at the beginning of the thread
with larger buffer size specified recently. If that still has ticks
then we will have to go without the plug layer but will first have to
determine what the DAC suppoorts.

I'm working on a set of experiments that can be run from the Touch
which will determine what works and what doesn't.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson