Was there ever any definitive resolution to this issue?

I have SBS 7.5.3.r31792 running on a high end Windows 7 64 bit system
serving up a library of around 6000 ALAC encoded file to two SB Touch
players (7.5.3-r9377). Network is wired GigaBit via a good switch over
CAT6. Network tested and no problems found. I have enabled native ALAC
streaming in SBS so that it does not transcode to MP3 when streaming to
the Touch.

Most of the time things are just fine but from time to time (several
times a day) some track that is playing will suddenly skip on to the
next track for no reason. Typically there  may be 30 seconds or more
remaining on the track when it skips to the next track. There is no
pause when this happens. Crossfade is disabled on both Touch units. It
does not seem related to specific files since at other times a file
that 'skipped' will play fine all the way through. No messages in SBS
log at times when this skipping happens. This is when playing from a
playlist. Replaying the same playlist does not result in the same
behaviour; different tracks may skip (or not) and tracks that skipped
first time may play fine.

Any ideas how to diagnose this? it really is getting quite irritating.

Thanks.

--
ChrisJenkins