Everything Phil said plus if you are doing because you don't wanna keep
the laptop on all the time, then WOL works wonderfully for that.  I had
no idea what exactly Wake On Lan was when I set mine up a while back,
but I found it fairly easy to get going and it works perfectly on my
Win 7 laptop that I got especially to use as a server.  It actually
took me all of about 4 hours before I ditched the Touch's USB for a
full server, and I haven't looked back since.  Now I have used it
occasionally when I've gotten something temporary on a stick, but not
for any serious amount of time.  Just too bugy, and I've got some
favorite plugins that it would suck to do without.

--
rayman1701