JJZolx;660810 Wrote:
> You should be able to see it on the network in Windows Explorer and
> manage files using just Win Explorer. Like I said, it doesn't always
> show up on its own. Here's what mine looks like (I've named it 'Touch')
> when I enter \\touch in the address bar.
>
> Once you have it visible in Windows Explorer you should be able to
> simply drag and drop files into the directories. It's not fast, though.
> If you're copying a lot of files, you may be better off attaching the
> drive to your desktop to do it.

Thank you, JJZolx.

I don't know how to answer as your first reply (putting my answers
inside a quote).

1)Yes - I enabled "sharing"
2)Yes, port 22 was selected automatically in Putty
3)By "the prompt", did you mean the green mark as in the earliest Apple
computers? Or "login as"?  I didn't see "login as". I entered "root"
instead of the password, the same warning popup came out "network
error: connection timed out"
4)I put "\\" before the IP address or Touch name in Windows Explorer
but I was told "Windows couldn't find the address"
5)I didn't change the default settings in sharing so password is still
1234
6)I am using a WD Elements 2TB desktop hard drive. It wakes up
instantly even after many hours of sleeping (not playing anything on
the hard drive). It is cold and no vibration on the case. As long as I
don't choose "stop the server" on the Touch, the hard drive will work
again right away without any problem.

In advanced\Diagnostics\Network Health it says "All network tests
passed successfully" and the Touch can play internet radio -- so I
think it is indeed connected to the network. The problem is the
connection between the Touch Server and my Windows laptop. I really
need to make the Windows recognize the Touch and the Putty or Winscp
work.

--
verycd