Thanks, aubuti,

I edited the line (1 to 0) in that file and pressed the save button on
the bar. However, after I removed the hard-drive (and restarted the
Touch too) and plugged it back with new files in it, it scanned again
for 15 mins. I accessed the prefs file and found the number is 1
instead of 0 - not changed/saved.

Did I save the changed value correctly and successfully? Or I only
stopped the RE-scan not the scan? Or it scanned again because I added
new files?

I tried editing the prefs for a second time. This time I noticed there
was an error message (I couldn't remember I had it or not the first
time):

Error changing directing to 'etc/squeezecenter/prefs'
Command 'cd"/etc******' failed with return code 0 & error message
-sh:groups: not found

I clicked "OK". And opened the prefs - I saw the code is "0"
I unplugged and plugged the drive with no new files added this time.
It didn't SCAN.
HOWEVER, when I accessed the prefs file, I found the code went back to
"1"

To repeat my suspicion:
1) The change was not really saved?
2) SCAN will always happen if new files are added?

--
verycd