jean2;676028 Wrote:
> Good to know. I was just thinking aloud.
>

> Ok, I'm convinced ;-)
>
> Rant mode on : hardware designers seem to always underestimate the
> amount of memory required, and the SB hardware designers in particular.
> The ipkg players are notorious for having their flash full, which
> prevent adding new features to them. The SB-Radio in the early days was
> suffering from chronic out-of-memory issues which took one year to fix
> (see Amazon reviews). And let's not mention the SB-Touch, despite the
> heroics of the software team, we are still bumping on the memory
> limitations.
> I wonder if it was a worthwhile tradeoff for SB. Sure, they save a few
> cents on each unit, but then wasted a lot in engineering and products
> bad reviews. In the case of the SB-Touch, this crippled one of the main
> feature, and Logitech can't really sell the Touch based on its internal
> server. With twice the memory, the internal server would have ended up
> a totally different product.
>
> Jean

Actually its not really the hardware designers fault, from what I can
tell the hardware was never designed to be a server, it was designed as
the next genaration player, they gave it enough memory and processor
power to handle 24/96 files well. When they got prototypes back and
started running the software on it they realized that the player was
using a tiny part of the resources, so some of the programmer said,
hey, I wonder if the server would run on this? So they tried, no it
didn't. So then they started turning things off, triming it down etc
and they finally got it working (barely).

Then marketing heard that the server would actually run on the player,
and low and behold it became a major feature of the Touch, and now this
thing which had been just some programmers playing around became a
requirement.

Moral of the story, if you want to play around and see if you can get
something to work on hardware that was never designed for it, NEVER
EVER let marketing know about it!

This is my interpretation of what happened from piecing little scraps
of info from various developers over the years.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson