Hi,

I decided to try the EXT3 filesystem on my Touch.

1) Rationale
-----------
The main reason for upgrading from FAT to EXT3 was corruption.
EXT3 is a journalled filesystem, so should be more robust to filesystem
corruption. I just had a FAT filesystem corruption.
I initially tought that keeping the hard drive as VFAT would make
it easier to use the drive. In practice, the drive is always connected
to the Touch, and I always update it over the network, so I don't need
this extra flexibility.
I was worried about the memory and performance impact of EXT3. VFAT
is fairly simple. EXT3 adds many features, but on the other had it's
been more optimised to Linux.
Lastly, I was hopping that going to EXT3 would solve some of the
rync issues that I had, like the non-synchronised timestamps.

2) Experience
-------------
I connected the hard drive to my Linux system. I changed the
partition type to Linux/83, and formatted as EXT3. I then copied all my
music to the new partition. That was around 10k files, more than 200GB,
it took a few hours.
I reconnected the hard drive to the Touch. Scanning took between 30
and 35 min for 8.5k tracks, which is maybe a touch slower than it was
with FAT (I've got a few more tracks since last full scan, and added
more tags).
Most things work as well as before, and the UI speed seem
unchanged.
Now rync does not need any workarounds :
-------------------------------
rsync -avz --delete --progress --stats -i --perms --dry-run
--include="*/" --include="*.flac" --include="*.FLAC"
--include="albumartsmall.jpg" --exclude="*" ~music/Music-FLAC/
root@192.168.1.100:'sda1/Music-FLAC/'

On the other hand, I was stressing the system by running the VU
meters on the Touch being the server, and the OOM killed the TinyLMS
server due to running out of memory. But I think I've seen that before.
I guess I'll need more time to see if it's as stable as I would
like. I'll update in a few weeks...

Have fun...

Jean