Mnyb;676538 Wrote:
> i wonder even if you can turn off a lot of stuff in the server to make
> it fit the tiny hardware.
>
> Can it be that the requirement that it should run on the Touch is a
> limiting factor for the server .
> A lot of stuff can be tacked on as plugin much oficial stuff is plugins
> too, but anyway.
>
> i use to think that the lack of development of core functionality is
> mainly lack of dev resources ?
>
> Any one with perl knowledge ? Are they boxed in by the Touch hardware.

They don't limit the core functionality based on the Touch. When they
did LMS they didn't even think of the Touch until the end when they
added an option to disable the photo/video functionality when executed
on the Touch.

So the lack of new core features is because of lack of developers and
priorities. The only scenario I can think of that might have affected
the computer based server is the switch from MySQL to SQLite, that
switch would probably not have happen if the Touch server wasn't
needed. Even though the developers sometimes defend it I think the main
reason for that switch was because they needed SQLite on the Touch and
it was too expensive to maintain and test two different database
backends.

Mnyb;676538 Wrote:

> On the other hand is it only the chosen architechture as micro computer
> running a real OS and a lot off stuff in script form lua or perl ?
> for example TinySC on Touch has a playlist limit of 100 tracks an iPod
> with ta fraction of the cpu a Touch has can handle playlist in 10000
> track sizes ?
> also PLC system with a fraction of the Touch CPU power runs large
> industrial machines in real time ?
> Are they using the most effective programming methods to utilize this
> hardware ?

This is the reason why the Touch server doesn't work, the architecture
and programming language is not optimized to run on slow hardware with
little memory. This is also the reason why the easiest/only realistic
way to fix the issue is to produce new hardware with faster CPU and
most importantly more memory. On slow hardware with little memory, you
need something that's fast and you need something that can dynamically
load/unload stuff depending on the current need, as I've understood
perl has issues in both these areas.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.