Mr. Tuesdays;676490 Wrote:
> OK, success at last!  Entire USB drive scanned, all artwork pre-cached
> and the server running.  No hitch, no crash.  Database is now
> searchable and is pretty fast.
>
> File scan took about 1H 30M. Over 16,000 files. The SB Touch always
> under estimates the scan time by half. It said 45 minutes remaining at
> first, but took about 90 minutes.  This is consistent with scanning the
> drive in NTFS format.  The estimated 3 hours would turn into 6 hours of
> scan.
>
> Pre-caching images didn't take too long and most importantly did not
> crash the server.
> The swap file grew and grew during the scan, topping out at 22 Meg.
> The image pre-cache peaked at 55 Meg then dropped back down to 54 Meg
> were it is now hanging.  I had not done a good jog of resizing the
> image files on the USB drive this time, must have been some big images
> in there.
>
> A big thanks for to Jean for this thread and the excellent instructions
> on formatting and files.  And a big thanks to Treepleks for the swap
> file info and encouragement.  Without your help I could never have
> gotten the Touch working as a stand alone player with so many files.
>
> Thanks also to everyone else who lent a hand.

Glad to see it helps you as much as it did for me. Two extra pieces if
you want:

1- if you want to make these changes "permanent" (resist reboot), I
would avise to create a squeezeos-boot.sh file that contains the
commands below, at the root of your disk (/media/mmcblk0p1 in your
case)

---- CUT HERE ----
#!/bin/sh
/media/mmcblk0p1/bin/busybox mkswap /media/mmcblk0p1/bin/swapfile
/media/mmcblk0p1/bin/musybox swapon /media/mmcblk0p1/bin/swapfile
---- CUT HERE ----

and make this script executable

chmod a+x /media/mmcblk0p1/squeezeos-boot.sh

This was not enough in my case. The init script that executes
squeezeos-boot.sh on every mounted device is executed too early and the
USB disk is not yet mounted at this time. The USB key must be faster but
if it is not fast enough (check with "free" after reboot), just insert a
"sleep 10" line in /etc/init.d/rcS just before the block in charge of
the squeezeos-boot.sh execution.

With the USB disk, I actually need a "sleep 20".

2- don't eject the SD card without turning swap off using the following
command:

/media/mmcblk0p1/bin/busybox swapoff /media/mmcblk0p1/bin/swapfile

--
treepleks