Re loosing resolution with 24 bit material mathematically yes
practically no .
No ADC or DAC has 144 dB sn ratio hence they are not in practice 24 bit
best case 20-21 bit iin the very best dac's with sn around 120 dB in the
case of Touch probably less than that.
And then we have the recording itself in the very best ones we would be
lucky if anything below bit 18 or 19 is not random noise . Or less with
the 40 year old records hd tracks sells a hirez ( if they do sound
better which they sometimes do, it is because of a better master not
the hirez file format )

So for all practical uses you will not hear loss of resolution in the
upper volume controll range, but you will get closer to the noise , if
that can be heard depends on systemgain and noise Levels in the rest of
the system.

So given proper gain with atenuators or a power amp that can have gain
adjusted, you can use a squeezebox directly to a poweramps and lose
very little fidelity, to beat this the preamp have to be a good one.
Or of course use a better dac.

Pity that they have no replacement for the transporter, it would show
off even bettter equipment in this
regard .

That given i also my Touch at 100% as digital volume controll is uswd
elsewhere in my system and with dithering, something the squeezebox
volume controll does not have.

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )