Wow I just must be lucky, which if you knew my health history, you
wouldn't think so :)   I knew absolutely nothing about Squeezebox, or
heck even "networked" music players when I bought my Touch a little over
a couple of years ago, all I knew is I wanted to have an easy to setup
server with a stand alone player, so I wouldn't have to sit in front of
a computer to choose & play the music.  When I heard about the Touch and
the fact it would also accept USB hard drives for the possibility of not
needing a computer I was in.  Now I happened to hear about it before it
was released, since it was delayed for quite a while.  But finally there
it was, so I ordered one as soon as I could.  I had just finished the 4
month task of ripping everything to lossless and just needed a player.
When I was waiting for it to come, I discovered this site and did a bit
of reading and set up sb.com passwords & stuff like that.  When it
arrived I had it set up and running in very short order, and even though
I was worried that it might not have enough power to handle large
libraries, I tried the scan of the USB hard drive with over 54,000
tracks of ALAC.  When the scan finished, it kinda worked but as I feared
just wasn't that good of an experience with a large library, not to
mention that 96/24 stuff seemed to choke it down.  So it was on to plan
B, now I was a bit nervous about how hard to set up SBS (at the time)
was gonna be, but I just went for it.  Didn't have any idea on plugins
3rd party or official, or any of this stuff.  SBS installed easily and I
did the scan for music, and everything showed up and I was playing music
without needing any coding, or figuring out ip addresses, just pretty
much plug and play for me.  Then I started devouring this forum, finding
out what more this little baby could do, figured out some plugins that
sounded handy and got them set up without issue.  Now I still don't know
how the guts of the system works, and if someone talks about SHH ing
into the Touch to change something on the player, or doing things in
Linux, my eyes glass over and they might as well be speaking Ferengi for
all I know.  The most frustrating thing that happens to me is when
weather.com changes something and it breaks the SuperDateTime plugin.
So I guess I am lucky.

And the same thing with iTunes.  I've had very few problems with iTunes
in all the years I've been using it, and yes I'm on Windows.  But I've
also gotten in the habit of waiting a bit for updates, just to make sure
there aren't major problems, although it's sometimes hard to tell since
the iTunes forums seems to have issues with every release.  But
thankfully, 99% of the time it just works for me.

So while my doctors would probably laugh their butts off, I just must be
lucky.

Maybe since I didn't have that kind of computer experience, my
expectations were not the same as the OP's.  I wouldn't trade my Touch
for anything else on the market that I've seen at this point.  It does
everything I want & more, plus it is robust enough so that I won't bump
into track limits (I'm up to 59,500 new, which is getting close to the
Sonos limit).

But I do agree that there should be better documentation that comes with
it, or a downloadable manual.  But that can be said about a lot of
companies products these days.  And since LMS is supported on so many
different configurations, it might be impossible to have something that
covers it all and do so in competent manner.  I know of people who just
can't for the life of them read and understand the manual for a modern
day A/V receiver! So maybe it's best to have somewhere like this where
they can ask & get answers for specific questions.