The first squeezebox I ever installed was a Slim Devices Squeezebox 3,
around 6 years ago, and I seem to recall the quick start manual it came
with was indeed better than what's available nowadays. Even being an IT
professional, it still took me around 2 hours of time to get everything
up and running however, the advantage being that I was payed to do it,
it was a customer's device ;)
After this discovery of the squeezebox eco-system, I've continued to use
the software players up until rather recently I bought a SBT. I didn't
see the need to buy any earlier, as I didn't even have a proper stereo
anymore. Since I already had the whole software environment in place,
for me it really was plug and play, which it has done since for a whole
lot of hours.
Only recently there are devices appearing that I would consider in terms
of sound quality, but when I look into their possibilities I find the
following:

- a frightening lack of flexibility, i.e. no MusicIP mixes
- limited "social" abilities: LastFM scrobbling seems totally
  non-existant
- poor visual interface on the device itself: they seem to be stuck at
  SB3 level
- no player sync, or multizone

These are all *_default_* functions/possibilities of the SBT, and I
haven't even begun scratching the surface of what is possible using 3d
party plugins. On top of this lack of what to me are indispensable
features comes the amazing price surplus most competitors ask for their
product. I'm rather glad the beancounters at Logitech chose to cut on
accompanying leaflets & similar stuff instead of on hardware and server
software :D