Sonos is a good system, but I always thought SB was superior.
Now that SB is dead, I guess it is the only official alternative (at the
moment).
There is still the possibility to run "fake" SBs, like iPod running
iPeng or a Plugpc.

Things I do not like about the Sonos:

design of Connector
no hires music
max. 65000 Titles limit
need for extra wireless bridge
no way to control without apps or Controller

Other than that it is a very good system and will surely be around for a
long time.
It would be nice if they did something about the file limit, but since
they do not want to loose backwards compatibility
and seem to mainly be interested in streaming services, I do not believe
it will happen.