How does sonos volume control operate if they are 16bit only are they
24bit internally but somehow limited to 16bit anyway ? If you want to
operate a digital volume control it better be 24bit .
Suppose as you can't pick your own server hardware so they can't offer
transcoding as a solution for backward compatibility with older players
?
So new players also get the 16bit limit otherwise sync would not work .

And 65000 track limit is best case if you have a lot of tag data it's
less than that.

Can you use Ethernet ? I see no point in using wifi for things that are
stationary and won't move anywhere soon .

I agree on the 16/44.1 vs 24/96 part If you don't believe that,
transcode some of your hirez material to reedbook and make a simple
blindest :)
Do not compare CD version or CD layer to hirez version they are usually
not of the same mastering so they sound different under any
circumstance.
If the new 24bit version of an album sounds better a 16bit copy of that
album would sound better than the old 16bit version.
It's the recording and mastering and other studio work that sets the
sound quality.
Resolution is irrelevant as long as it is 16/44.1 or better .

But I do see a problem here , if you aim at non technical users ,should
they find out how to recode their hirez file to another rate and
maintain that ?
User friendly is if people can just use their files as they are like in
a squeezebox system almost anything plays if not natively then by
transcoding
(unless you are crackpot and messed up the filetypes settings for some
audiophile gold at the end of the rainbow )