chopinhauer wrote:
> Thanks for the replies
>
> Re the first point, assuming I don't need web-ui or any plugins then
> would the external HDD connected to the Touch work OK. That is, I intend
> only to use the Touch for streaming music from a music folder and for
> internet radio. No Spotify etc etc. The music would then be accessed
> either from the Touch screen or via a mobile phone ap (either for iphone
> or android depending on who's using it). Does the cell phone ap count as
> a plugin?
>
> Re the external HDD connected to the iMac option, isn't the fact the
> most of the files are in FLAC or Monkey audio APE going to pose
> problems. I know itunes won't play these files so they can't be listened
> to on the Mac, without great fiddling. This isn't a problem so long as
> the Mac can stream them from the external HDD so they can be heard on
> the home stereo system. If this is a problem could it be alleviated by
> plugging the external HDD directly into the wireless router (a good one,
> Asus RT68U) and streaming from there, while of course running LMS on the
> iMac? Or is this much the same thing as running the files directly from
> the iMac itself (but involving more wi-fi hoops?
>
> Re Grumpy Bob's suggestions, the PI is an option I'm considering. The
> 2TB western digital looks interesting but what would it be connected to?
> The router? Or the iMac? And would LMS have to be installed on the iMac
> as well.

The 2Tb WD setup has two internal wifi cards - one sets up a WAN of its
own (192.168.60.*), the other connects to your own network. It runs
Logitech Media Server, and you connect the players to it directly
through the 192.168.60.* network. (sorry, not familiar with the proper
network terminology!).

Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar
3 and Naim CD3)
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3
SqueezePad, iPeng, Squeezeplay, piCorePlayer(PiB)>DACMagic 100,
PiCorePlayer(Pi2)>IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers,
(piCorePlayer(PiB)>HiFiBerryDAC in reserve)
QNAP TS-239, LMS 7.9
last.fm/user/GrumpyBob