On 01/01/2015 09:57 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> So if Android is switching to toybox, is my unfinished project to
> create a toybox installing app now obsolete?

There's still stuff to do. In increasing order of difficulty:

1) It's only going into new ones at some point in the future. The
installed base won't have it for a while.

2) Considering I've never managed to get an xterm in a basic android
install, something that lets me run a shell prompt without going full
cyanogenmod is nice. So far I've been using that champion gnuroot thing
(since he packaged up my aboriginal linux root filesystem and
everything, and that gives me fullscreen terminal):

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce/GNURoot-Linux-on-Android-No-Root-Required

(Alas if I leave that running, android has an annoying tendency to
reboot the phone. Not sure why.)

3) If you remember my CELF talk (and I went over it again on the linux
luddites interview, episode 11 I think), turning an android phone into a
development environment means plugging it into a USB hub and adding:

1) USB keyboard
2) USB mouse
3) USB video adapter (USB to VGA for usb2, USB to HDMI for usb3).

All that hardware's available off the shelf at best buy today (I
checked), and possibly you could work around 3 with a chromecast and use
bluetooth for 1 and 2 instead (although the advantage of plugging it
into a hub is it charges the phone battery, and you can trivially add a
big hard drive and gigabit ethernet connection and so on).

But the problem I had with my current android phone is it hasn't got
drivers for any of that. It's always in USB gadget mode, not in USB host
mode. So if I plug it into a hub, it can't scan the hub to see what's on
there and use any of it.

> I was stuck on "what to do if busybox is already installed and has
> symlinks plastered all over the file system".  I'm still thinking about
> how to deal with that.

Put the symlinks in /bin/toybox and add it to the $PATH? (This is why
toybox has "make install_flat" for when it's not part of the base
system. You can have it be first in the $PATH or last in the $PATH as
you like...)

The only things that really call stuff at absolute paths are executable
loaders, so the dynamic linker is at an absolute path and so are script
interpreters (the #! at the start of shell/perl/python scripts), and
toysh isn't ready to carry any real weight yet.

Rob