On 01/18/2015 01:00 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
> This is made even more clear in the description:
>
>     If both tv_nsec fields are set to UTIME_OMIT, no ownership or
>     permissions check shall be performed for the file, but other error
>     conditions may still be detected (including [EACCES] errors
>     related to the path prefix).
>
> If you can confirm the incorrect behavior, we should report this to
> the kernel folks.

You can make a trivial test program for it, and I'm all for fixing it,
but there are existing kernels out in the field we have to deal with
that do this, and fixing future versions doesn't help those. I've
adjusted my code not to call the function with those arguments so I can
avoid hitting it.

(We're arguing over the behavior of a NOP. Yes, the kernel is doing the
NOP wrong, but if it's a NOP my code shouldn't bother doing it.)

> Rich

Rob

(Having reread the above twice I'm _fairly_ certain it's intelligible
english, but going bedwards and practicing horizontality may be
advisable at this point.)