On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM, Jani Tiainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying to keep Trac in our corporation environment but day after day
> it's coming more difficult due feature needs from users. I've tried
> several solutions but I haven't found anything even nearly working and
> what's "worse" someone found Redmine and it's working more or less
> "perfectly" for one of our projects and now they are pushing Redmine to
> all over the place.
>
> I would be more than happy to hear some solutions for my (and thus my
> boss) troubles. I've listed them here in order of priority.
>
> Trouble #1: Partially open environment. Recently there has been
> increasing need to have private and public parts of same project. Public
> part would be open for end users and developers, private part is for
> developers only. There must be way to cross reference these (see trouble
> #2). This also includes authentication from several sources. First ldap
> if user is found, if not some other mechanism that allows user self
> registering.
>
> Trouble #2: Cross-reference and xref actions. There is need to have
> "blocks" relation that is enforced.
>
> Trouble #3: Multiproject/multirepository support. We have few projects
> that are actually combination of several (separate) repositories but
> also there is few libraries that should be linked (and again, cross
> referenced, see trouble #2) together tightly. (Not loose coupling like
> external links)
>
> Trouble #4: Web based environment creation.
>
> Trouble #5: Userinformation retrieval from our LDAP server. Specially
> active accounts (since sometimes people come and people leave) and
> e-mail addresses.
>
> Trouble #6: Selective permissions (roles), specially for tickets. Like I
> could name "QA and management" persons that are allowed to close tickets
> that are sent to "qa" state.

I was going to reply to you point by point, but instead I'll just say
that we do the majority of those bullet points with Trac.  We aren't
doing multiple authentication yet, though there are plans to, and
there's really nothing stopping anyone else from doing that.  In fact,
one could write a single PasswordStore that simply tries a list of
other PasswordStores in a specified order.

The only other one we aren't doing anything with right now is #2,
which I think is the most legitimate complaint here (I mean, they're
all legitimate points, but most of them can be accomplished with
Trac).  I've played with Redmine, and there are a number of things
that it does make easier, but a lot of it does not fit my needs.  One
thing Trac makes easier (and this may be partly due to the fact that
it's written in Python, which I am more familiar with) is tweaking it
to make it do exactly what I want.