To exclude that I dragged along the cause of my problem while copying the
env directory (e.g. in templates/), I added another trac:

trac-admin /srv/www/trac/env/fresh initenv
tracd --port 8000 /srv/www/trac/env/fresh
# for apache and fcgi :
chown www-data: /srv/www/trac/env/fresh/db/trac.db
chmod a+r /srv/www/trac/env/fresh/conf/trac.ini
chmod a+x /srv/www/trac/pub/fresh/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi

The problem is not visible on Port 8000, but appears when I use apache.
Config:

    ServerName freshtrac.example.com
    Alias /chrome      /srv/www/trac/pub/fresh/htdocs
    ScriptAlias /      /srv/www/trac/pub/fresh/cgi-bin/trac.fcgi/
    DocumentRoot /srv/www/trac/pub/fresh
    <Location "/">
        AuthBasicProvider ldap
        Require ldap-group ...
    </Location>

With apache, links look like:
https://freshtrac.example.com/srv/www/trac/pub/fresh/wiki

And even the page resources are wrong:
https://freshtrac.example.com/srv/www/trac/pub/fresh/chrome/common/css/trac.css
I did not install any plugins in the fresh env. Or changed trac.ini (apart
from log_file = /srv/www/trac/env/fresh/log/trac.log, which is not used). I
also tried adding
SetEnv trac.base_url https://freshtrac.example.com/
<https://trac.example.com/>
... did not help. so how did I trigger the problem in that minimal fresh
trac?

Thanks for any ideas for further debugging.