Leandro Regueiro wrote:

> Samuel wrote:

>> That is fine, from an academic point of view, but the fact is that
>> a glossary function must have the ability to recognise items from
>> the source text that are in the glossary.  No program can recognise
>> concepts.  Only words can be matched.  Therefore, glossaries must
>> be word based.

> Since I think glossaries are maintained by humans, the glossaries
> could be concept based.

I'm interested to know how a glossary server would match a concept (from
the glossary) to a word (in the source text).  Or... were you thinking
of having a glossary server that doesn't perform any automatic matching
of words from the source text?

>> Isn't Martin Benjamin working on such a list via AnLoc?
>> http://africanlocalisation.net/en/terminology

> Perhaps. In the last times there are lot of tools for translating,
> maintaining TM, glossaries... Too much for me.

No, the Anloc Terminology project is not a tool -- it is a list.  It is
a list of 2500 terms, to be translated into many African languages.  If
one can get one's hands on that list, it could be a useful start for a
super list of GUI terms.  Martin's list also has nothing to do with TM.

> Yes, perhaps could do term editing, but if we set up a terminology
> server, the term editing should be considered term suggestion that
> must be approved by some user of the terminology server (a human).

And this is why such a terminology server will fail.  If users who add
terms find that their expertise is not respected by the community, and
that their contributions are regarded as second-rate until formally
approved by some other guy, they will lose interest in participating.

>> A way to judge a CAT tool's term recognition is (a) whether it can
>> do fuzzy matching when doing glossary recognition...

> Where is "exact matching"? I think that in TMs "fuzzy matching" is
> very important, but in glossaries it isn't so important.

I did not mention exact matching because I assumed that exact matching
is a given.

Fuzzy matching can be important in glossaries if the glossary does not
contain all possible permutations of a word from the source text.  If
the glossary contains "file" but not "files", will the CAT tool give a
result if the source text contains "files"?

Samuel

--
Samuel Murray
sam...@translate.org.za