On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 17:36 +0700, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Dwayne Bailey <dwa...@translate.org.za> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 11:17 +0700, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> >> As far as I know, Vietnamese doesn't use guillemets,
> >> and the usages of single quotation and double quotation are different.
> >> Therefore, when we replace guillemets with double quotations,
> >> we still need to double check the output.
> >
> > 'As far as I know'??? Please be very sure of these things.
> Yes, I am sure.
>

> > There are many other Vietnamese translations and almost all of them use
> > guillemets.
> Clytie Siddall (she is on the list) uses gullemets, which is a wrong
> thing to do.
>
> Trust me.
>
> She is also the person who has translated gnome. Unfortunately, it
> seems like that
> Clytie Siddall has been retired and I don't think she is reading our emails.
>
> > So much so that we have rules in Translate Toolkit that can
> > check that quotes are correctly turned into guillemets.  Because of the
> > French-Vietnamese colonial heritage we can inherit these and other
> > punctuations rules from French.
> Please don't attack the straw man :D.
>
> > What you are suggesting completely
> > eliminates the value that those offer Vietnamese translator.
> As I said above.
>
> > I'm not saying don't do it, styles change and these things need to be
> > adapted. But your uncertainty didn't fill me with confidence.  So go do
> > some research before hacking those all out.
> Since the invention of PC until the time when Unicode was invented,
> there were no guillimets in Vietnamese and now, double quotations become
> the *de-factor standard*.

I'm not the one that moved from certainty to 'as far as I know' and back
to certainty!  The PC is very young, I'd hardly call it a reference for
language usage, its mostly bastardises accepted practises since en-US
rules.

This is a better reference though which seems to confirm your position:
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/apps/survey?_=vi&x=misc
But you could also be the vetter ;)

I just wanted to make sure you where really certain of the change you
wished to make.  I do this work for South African languages and I'm
often faced with people wanting to change something and having little
reason behind that except that they think its right.  Sorry if I sound
pedantic about these things but I care that we do the right thing for
languages.

I'd be really greatful if you could help validate the Vietnamese
specific language checker that are in the Toolkit with us so that they
continue to server the community.  These are used in the Pootle checks
and we will use some of them in Virtaal.

You can see the file here:
http://translate.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/translate/src/trunk/translate/lang/vi.py?revision=7405&view=markup

--
Dwayne Bailey
Associate                                      +27 12 460 1095 (w)

Recent blog posts:
* Google Translate + libtranslate + Virtaal = machine translation in 7 new
languages
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/google-translate-libtranslate-virtaal-machine-translation-7-new-languages
* Fixes for Skype Video, Webcam on Fedora
* libtranslate, TM plugins and Virtaal

Stop Digital Apartheid! - http://www.digitalapartheid.com
Firefox web browser in Afrikaans - http://af.www.mozilla.com/af/
African Network for Localisation (ANLoc) - http://africanlocalisation.net/