It has to do with how [https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/how-trisquel-made Trisquel is made]. Trisquel is made from Ubuntu and Ubuntu has 4 repository components

1) Main - Officially supported software.

2) Restricted - Supported software that is not available under a completely free license.

3) Universe - Community maintained software, i.e. not officially supported software.

4) Multiverse - Software that is not free.

That package [in ubuntu 11.10] which is the basic equivalent if Trisquel 5.5 has that package in the multiverse repository. I don't know why it is there (it appears to be GPL) but maybe there is some patent restriction or something. We don't import any packages from the multiverse repo because for whatever reason they are determined by the Ubuntu community to be non-free. Hope that answers your question.