The truth is it all depends on what companies think will benefit them in any given area. It is people like us who convince them of that. What you find is AMD thinks assisting coreboot will help them win in the server arena. Rightly so. There are many things you can do with coreboot that make administration easier. AMD doesn't really care about the freedom bit though beyond it achieving an advantage.

Intel is the same way. Intel's graphics chipsets are free only because they have no advantage to lose by opening up the specifications. ATI and NVIDIA outperform Intel even at the low end. Intel is catching up though. However it's still nothing to brag about. The Intel advantage with its chipsets is that companies can better develop for them, operating systems like GNU/Linux can better take advantage of the hardware, and most importantly offer better support for it, etc.

The advantage to our hardware (ThinkPenguin) is not necessarily it being able to out perform every other product on the market. I'm sure our hardware doesn't in many cases. Its advantage is the hardware works better. In many cases it outperforms the equivalent in proprietary environments or offers additional features thanks to the ability of any developer being able to contribute. It's not having to deal with infections, not having to worry about that upgrade breaking support for your printer, not having to get hit every time Microsoft decides to do something really stupid (think of things like the introduction of “ribbons” in MS Office 2007, or tiles in MS Windows 8). While in GNU/Linux these stupid things happen too the difference is it's much more adaptable. Where a company decides to abandon software (think Oracle with OpenOffice) forks are created (LibreOffice). Think Linux Mint with Ubuntu (sort of anyway-two projects developed to create an alternative desktop environment).