How would the world be a better place if nobody put any thought in how their actions might affect others? Just look at pollution, for example. Many pollution incidents we have are because some company dumped its wastes in a river or lake or ocean somewhere with no regard for what could happen to others as a result.

If you accept patented formats like MP3 as normal, you normalize it. If a patented format like MP3 is normalized, other people's freedom is compromised. If you distribute in patented formats like MP3, you directly contribute to the problem, and that's just flat-out unethical.

To clarify:

- Using free software to see or hear the file in the patented format is fine.
- Taking that patented format and converting it to a non-patented format for others to use is like cleaning up the lake the company dumped its crap into, and that's good. - Complaining to webmasters about using patented formats is like complaining to the company about the dumping, and that's good. - *Paying* for the file is like doing business with the company, and that's unhelpful. - Complaining about a program not supporting a patented format is like complaining that some other company refuses to do business with water-polluting companies, and that's disruptive. - Distributing your own files under patented formats is like dumping your own crap into the lake, and that's unethical.

In this (imperfect, so please don't take it any further) analogy, I'm one of the guys who lives near the lake and depends on it, Patented Formats is the company dumping garbage into it, and you are some guy some huge distance away saying we don't matter to you as long as you get your Patented Formats.