I agree with you (disagree with Telstar). We need to talk about freedom. Free software is not always the most convenient solution ("my friends are on Skype", "I receive .doc documents", "my favorite games are proprietary", etc.). Users who do not (learn to) value their freedoms will choose the most convenient solution, which may be proprietary. Even if the most convenient solution currently is free, users who do not value theirs freedoms may switch back to proprietary applications as soon as they get better. The social/ethical/political battle (the only one that matters) cannot be won if we do not talk about freedom. That is the reason why 99% of GNU/Linux distributions include proprietary software.

That said, there needs to be a smooth transition for it to be successful. Users can start using VLC, then Pidgin, then Firefox, then LibreOffice, etc. (whatever the order) and get use to them little by little. But they must keep on moving toward a 100% free operating system (even if that means adopting less convenient solutions). Freedom is *the* goal. Users must understand it (they must be told so) and keep it in mind for the free software movement to be a success.