Personally I just ask people about their use cases first. There's an awful lot of people, like the friend who I recently influenced into using Trisquel, for whom the many things free software _can_ do are more than they need.

Of course I always discuss the freedoms. But, people do tend to use things for their own sweet reasons regardless of what you say. So you have to keep chipping away at the education thing until they've fully grasped the implications of the freedoms and the nature of the injustice software hoarders perpetrate. They still might not commit even though they'll happily use a GFSD distro after all that.