Even if I am late...here are my 2 cents...

For me all boils down to this:
Trisquel > Debian > Ubuntu > Windows / MacOS with mostly open source > Windows / MacOS with no open source used

Explanation:
- Trisquel stands for pretty much every free GNU Linux out there

- Debian stands for all those GNU Linux variants which most aim to be free but still include non-free firmware files, support installing non-free software

- Ubuntu stands for all those GNU Linux variants which fully provide / support non-free firmware and apps

- Windows / MacOS with open sources stands for propritary operating systems with mostly open-source / free software installed like GIMP, Firefox, Audacity and so on

- Windows / MacOS with no open sources stands for propritary operating systems with only propritary software installed.

Getting everyone to use an OS like Trisquel might be the final goal but right now with the tremendeous amount of non-free things around like SmartTVs, Android boxes, tablets and smartphones I do not see this happening. Its more like most people will turn away from a general purpose PC towards specific devices.

In the end even an Ubuntu user (like I am most of my time) is more free than a Windows / MacOS user ;)