>> Naturally GNU/Linux distros (including Trisquel) can do the same
>> job as Windows - run proprietary software - so I don't think
>> that's the issue.
>
> One cannot build a free software operating system that would
> disallow running proprietary software per definition, see freedom 0.
> Yet, the purpose of most GNU/Linux distros (especially Trisquel) is
> certainly not to run proprietary software, which 99,99% of windows
> software happens to be. That's why it is the issue.

There are many free programs available for Windows (and also GNU/Linux)
and so I don't think that's completely true. I know because I made an
effort to switch to as much free software as possible a few months
before I installed GNU/Linux.

>> On the other hand, I recall seeing at least one free
>> Windows-compatible program that was apparently developed and
>> tested using only free software (the website mentioned the program
>> being tested only on ReactOS), so I think it has potential to be
>> useful for the free software community.
>
> If a piece software is free, it can be ported to any operating
> system. No need to use emulators to run foreign binaries.

Different systems have different libraries. A program needs to be tested
somehow, right? If a free software developer wanted to make their
program available on Windows, using ReactOS to test the program would
enable them to do that without using proprietary software.

I think that making free software available on a proprietary OS does
have its merits. For example, as much as I don't like Mozilla, their web
browser, which is also built for Windows, has enabled millions of users
to use the web with free software. It's unfortunate that these
developers are testing their programs on a proprietary software which is
why I think Wine and the ReactOS projects could be good for free software.

Andrew.