> You mean like trisquel? A huge amount of free software project are like this.

The point here is that Trisquel is based on a finished and fully-working operating system, while ReactOS is, despite partially working, more of a proof-of-concept than a fully-fledged OS. It's not that easy to build a complete operating system from scratch without money and paid developers.

> Well, they started a new fundraising campaign recently

There were many of them. I hope that eventually this project will succeed, since I strongly beleive this is the #1 free software project after GNU, that many people don't heard about.