@andrew there is still a difference between plaintext traffic going through ISPs and routers VS going through someones private server. Your ISP may lose customers if they are found to be modifying wikipedia, a malice node may have something to gain by doing so.

If you don't know what tor is, how to use tor and have not read the warnings you SHOULDN'T BE USING TOR. How easy would it be for me to go into private mode to look up my illness, see a wiki page (plaintext) and found a link for drug treatment (malicous). What if I have a false sense of protection, sign into an email address I made outside of tor and emailed some sensitive information (medical, whistleblowing, bank, secrets to blackmail me on, etc).

IMO this is enough reason to not have that tor feature. I linked an article about binary patching so it's now well pass the point of modifying simple html pages. Remember, this isn't about you being hacked. It's about users who don't understand tor and use it because the browser made it appear like a good idea. It's stupid to have someone using tor when they haven't read the warnings. It's actually fucking stupid.

@SuperTramp83 Agreed but I'm interested in "proven several times that Tor is not that reliable in keeping you anonimous" annoymous*. So far I remember 3 instances, one before gaurds were implemented, 2nd because users use torrent clients and its just obvious and 3rd which IDK was spectated or not

@salparadise IDK what you're going on about but is encryption a trap? Do you know what beats militarys? Nature. Nature and physics. For the most part the way the tor network works appears to be secure. You can't break good encryption. You can't force a 3rd party to shape their traffic. You can't be everywhere at once and have unlimited spending money

@bitbit it's suggesting they can't keep modifying the button for every firefox version so don't add it to your firefox installion. The button is used in the tor browser bundle along with tweaks (like cache/storange) and additional plugins.

Anyways I have no idea why one would want the browse to use tor in private mode but what I am saying is IT IS HARMFUL. Specifically malicious node modifying popular plaintext sites such as wikipedia and CNN. I can't understand why there wasn't just a 2nd browser title TorBrowserBundle