> My experience in europe is, the shop on the internet requires you to tell name and address.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with payment method. Just because a shop makes that their policy doesn't mean it has to be that way.

> Even among well known shops in europe, I would rather not display that level of trust.

So, I take it you never use a credit card, and especially never a debit card, right? You insist on paying only in cash, and only after receiving goods. That is the only behavior which is consistent with what you are saying here. If so, I can tell you right now that almost everyone I know is perfectly willing to entrust their credit card information to Walmart, and those who think they aren't actually are; that's necessary because of the way credit cards work. Credit cards and debit cards are both far more popular than cash in the store I work at.

Besides this, I must say that there's a fantastic irony here. You refuse to trust even well-known, major stores to not scam you, and yet you put your trust in a different company (PayPal) to act as a middle-man and provide "purchase protection". This makes no sense whatsoever.

> You say, you can get paypal's purchase protection without having a paypal account?

PayPal's purchase protection is not protecting you from Ebay. It's protecting you from sellers that are using Ebay. PayPal can't protect you from Ebay because Ebay owns PayPal. So it makes no difference if Ebay just offers you that exact same protection directly rather than routing it through PayPal. So, since you have to trust Ebay anyway, all you have to do is send e-cash to Ebay and let them handle everything else. If you need a refund, they can just send e-cash back to you.