On 10/20, lc...@dcc.ufmg.br wrote:
> Deleting both sections of
> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and executing
> 'systemctl restart NetworkManager' does not solve any
> of the two problems (the DNS not being automatically
> configured with Ethernet, the Wifi adapter never
> connecting to the network).  Should I still try to
> remove only one of the two sections?

Prior to the update, the /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
looked like this

```
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile,ofono
dns=dnsmasq

[ifupdown]
managed=false
```

Now it looks like this:

```
[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=false

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=yes

[connection]
wifi.cloned-mac-address=stable
ethernet.cloned-mac-address=stable
connection.stable-id=${CONNECTION}/$(BOOT)
```

So the problem should lie in the new [device] section, the new
[connection] section, and/or the missing "dns=dnsmasq" line. (I ofono in
the "plugins=" line makes a difference.)

If completely reverting to the contents of the old NetworkManager.conf
doesn't fix the problem, then perhaps the issue has something to do with
the newer versions of network-manager and/or wpasupplicant, which with
this latest change are now backported from Ubuntu 18.04.

> Also, I only
> executed 'systemctl restart NetworkManager' after
> updating to the flidas-backports version of
> NetworkManager.  Is it really necessary to reboot (as
> the Update Manager says)?

I'm not sure. It seems that the problem may have something to do with
how your computer communicates with your router, and I'm not sure
whether something relevant to this happens on startup that does not
happen when restarting NetworkManager.