> TLDR: No, it looks like Debian doesn't handle my bad graphics card any
> better. Nothing for Trisquel 9 to learn from Debian here.

Sorry about that.  AMD graphics cards are often a problem.  I recently
acquired four used laptops for quite cheap ($40 each).  I take
opportunities like this when the come up, so that I can install
GNU/Linux on them and loan/give them to people who are interested in
trying it out but not ready to mess with the software on their current
machine.  Unfortunately, two of these laptops have AMD GPUs, and because
they are not fully supported by the free drivers, video playback is very
laggy and choppy, giving the impression that the computer is slow when
it is otherwise fine.  Since the GPU is no longer sold by AMD, they no
longer maintain their proprietary drivers, so even a user willing to
compromise on freedom to better support their hardware does not have a
choice to do so.  This is why relying on freedom-hostile hardware is
risky.

> As you suggested, I wanted to use lspci to test Debian's recognition
> of my graphics card, but the Terminal did not know that command, apt
> knew no such package, and neither did Synaptic

For future reference, when you are not sure which package provides a
particular command, you can go to pacakges.ubuntu.com (or
packages.debian.org in the case of Debian), and search by package
contents for the name of the command.  For example, searching for lspci
on packages.debian.org reveals that the lspci command is provided by the
"pciutils" pacakge.

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=buster&arch=any&mode=exactfilename&searchon=contents&keywords=lspci