Marlin, I sent this a few days ago, but I don't remember getting a response
from you.  I am sending it again, hoping that you will respond.  I really
believe their are some important things for you to see in this idea that the
law was the minstration of death.  Also, we need to talk about this whole
concept of "the letter" and how "the letter kills."

Marlin wrote:
> I am not sure what the dissagreement seems to be.  But OT
> law was glorious, and the Spirit even more glorious. NT
> shows the spirit of the already glorious OT law.  The
> "be-attitudes."  The judgment is still future.  Death has not
> passed away yet.  The law still applies to us.

The law is still in force, but it is for the lawless.  Those who have found
righteousness in Jesus Christ do not need the law to obtain righteousness.

Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good
conscience, and of faith unfeigned: From which some having swerved have
turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law;
understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. But we know
that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that THE LAW
IS NOT MADE FOR A RIGHTEOUS MAN, BUT FOR THE LAWLESS AND DISOBEDIENT, for
the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of
fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them
that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for
perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound
doctrine; According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was
committed to my trust.  (1 Timothy 1:5-11)

It seems to me that you keep skirting around this subject taught in
Scripture concerning how the law brings condemnation and death.  Yes, the
ministration of it was glorious, but the fruit of it was a ministry of death
and condemnation.  Consider the following passage in Romans 7 and please
comment on it.

Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the
body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is
raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Rom 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by
the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
Rom 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we
were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness
of the letter.

So the motions of sin which came about because of the law, brought fruit
unto death.  Now, as Paul explains, if sin was not within us, the law would
not have this effect upon us.  However, we do have a sin principle within
us, so that law by itself, without the Spirit of Christ inhabiting us, only
stirs up that sin nature within us and we would find ourselves exceedingly
sinful by the law.  This leads to a life of condemnation, whereby what you
want to do to please God is not what you find yourself doing.  So the
ministry of the law brings condemnation and death.  The letter kills, but
the spirit gives life.  Romans 7 = life under the law, Romans 8 = life in
the Spirit.

Again, I am not maligning the law.  I am not an antinomian.  I believe in
the law, I believe the law is good and holy, and I uphold the law fully.
What I seek from you is to see you face these passages of Scripture that
speak about the law being a ministry of condemnation and death.  Do you see
this?  Do you understand this?  The letter kills, but the spirit gives life.
Do you understand this concept?  This is important for having the right
perspective about sabbath keeping and to help us understand the conflict
that Jesus had with the sabbath keepers of his day.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida  USA