Dear David,

When I wrote:" The word translated "deny" is found 13 times in scripture from Matthew 16:24 to John 13:38 but is never mentioned again AFTER the crucifixion of Christ!"...

You responded:" I'm not sure what you are trying to say, Bruce. First, the word is mentioned after the crucifixion in the following verse: For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, DENYING ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee. (Titus 2:11-15 KJV) But even if it was not, don't you think that the doctrine of Christ can be found in the gospels? What are you trying to say? What are you trying to argue? What's the bottom line? Do you disagree with the teaching that we are to deny self, meaning, deny worldly lusts of the flesh?

David these are good questions! Let me start with answering the last one first and maybe that will help you to see where i'm coming from.

Yes, brother, I do disagree! Denying self and denying ungodliness and worldly lusts are not synonymous.
DENYING SELF was for those contemporaries of the Lord Jesus during his earthly ministry who were dealing with self life on the way to crucifixion, prior to death. Our DENYING UNGODLINESS AND WORLDLY LUSTS is dealing with defilement and corruption after death has taken place! (Our death to sin and the the law took place in Christ at Calvary!)

The word "denying" in Titus 2 is Strong's # 720 ARNEOMAI". But the word deny" in the Gospels is Strong's #533 APARNEOMAI. The latter is the strengthened form of the former. The former is used primarily of contradicting by word. But the latter was used primarily of rejecting people, especially one's self as one was taking up their cross and following Christ to execution by crucifixion! It is for this reason that I said no new covenant believer is called to deny themself, take up their cross, crucify themselves, put themselves to death, or to die to self! That was accomplished in Christ at Calvary!

But what we ARE to deny, as new covenant believers, is NOT OURSELVES, but "ungodliness" and "worldy lusts". We have already died, having been crucified with Christ. (Gal.2:20) That can never be repeated, nor is it an ongoing process. But what is to be an ongoing process is the "denial of ungodliness and worldly lusts" (Titus 2) This is in complete harmony with Col.3:3 and 5. We ARE DEAD. (v.3)

We cannot continue to put ourselves to death! But what we are commanded to do is to "mortify (put to death) our members which are upon the earth: fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence and covetousness, which is idolatry." (v.5)

These truths are also set forth in Romans 6.(Below). Notice that the statements which I have started at the left hand are truths that took place at Calvary, they are what God has accomplished. The statements which are set further to the right are those which are ongoing responsibilities of believers. Another way to consider these are that those on the left have to do with our crucifixion with Christ and death to sin and to the law. Those further to the right have to do with our denying ungodliness and worldly lusts

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed,
-that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 -Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but
alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 -Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey
it in the lusts thereof.
13 -Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness
unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from
the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto
God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 -What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law,
but under grace? God forbid.
16 -Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his
servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of
obedience unto righteousness?
17 - But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have
obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered
you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19 -I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your
flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness
and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members
servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

See Colossians 3:1-17 in the very same way:
(God's part past, present and future, and the facts of history concerning our death by crucifixion on the left;)
- (our part and ongoing responsibilities on the right.)
1 If ye then be risen with Christ,
-seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right
hand of God.
-Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.
5 -Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth;
fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence,
and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:
7 -In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them.
8 -But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy,
filthy communication out of your mouth.
9 -Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man
with his deeds;
10 -And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge
after the image of him that created him:
11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
12 - Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of
mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
13 -Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have
a quarrel against any:
even as Christ forgave you,
-so also do ye.
14 -And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of
perfectness.
15 -And let the peace of God rule in your hearts,
to the which also ye are called in one body;
-and be ye thankful.
16 - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching
and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual
songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
17 -And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the
Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Finally, regarding your question about the doctrine of Christ: Remember that most of the ministry of the Lord Jesus was to people who were still under the old covenant made at Sinai, so while He certainly gave many instructions which clearly were to guide his disciples AFTER Calvary and AFTER His ascension, there were still instructions that were to guide those of his immediate contemporaries while they were still under the old covenant, (which would not at all be appropriate after the new covenant had been dedicated with His own blood.)

A few such specific instructions which do not apply to new covenant believers are as follows:
-Matthew 5:23,24 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
-Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
-Matthew 10:5,6 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
-Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
-Luke 5:14 And he charged him to tell no man: but go, and shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing, according as Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Does this help to clarify what I'd said in my last post, or does it raise more questions?
Your brother in Christ,
Bruce

"Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought
to answer every man."  (Colossians 4:6) http://www.InnGlory.org