From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Charles Perry Locke wrote:
> DavidH,
> I am aftraid I can't buy your presentation of 2 Sam 12:7-8 as
> a prooftext that God commanded polygamy.
>
> DAVEH:  Of course you can't buy it, Perry.......It would make
> your beliefs pretty suspect.  So when the Bible say's something
> that is a bit difficult to swallow, you have to rationalize it to a
> point where it no longer means what it implies.  Read it again
> and ask yourself how many wives David had and where/how
> did he get them along with the kingdom.....
>
> Judy:
> How did David get to be the standard for marriage?  Yes he
> took more than one wife but this was not God's will or choice
> Deuteronomy 17:14-20 tells us what God's will in the matter
> is, but Israel did not always do God's will - neither did David.

DAVEH:  I think you have misunderstood those passages, Judy.
IF they mean what you imply, then doesn't 1Kg 12:38 seem a
contradiction?

Judy:
There is no 1 Kings 12:38 DaveH; must be a typo... what is
the contradiction?

DAVEH:
If the Lord was unhappy with David's polygamous lifestyle,
one would think he would have rebuked him for it instead of
exalting him as he did.

Judy:
David was favored and called 'a man after God's own heart'
because of his heart attitude toward God. Having more than
one wife appears not to have been an issue during his lifetime
and it is obvious from what is written that lust was his weakness.
Possibly we can say as Paul told the Athenians that "the times
of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all men
everywhere to repent, because he has fixed a day on which
he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he
has appointed, and of this he has given assurance to all men
by raising him from the dead" (Acts 17:30,31)

DAVEH:
For all his wives, the only rebuke David received from the
Lord was relative (hmmmm....an unintentional pun, eh!) to
Bathsheba.

Judy:
And this was because when David took her she was another
man's wife and he was responsible for having her husband Uriah
murdered.

Grace and Peace,
Judy