Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 4:44 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Comments on Luke 2.52

John says Although He had emptied Himself of the nature of God

What scripture supports this theory?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 3/12/2004 8:44:46 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

It helps me understand the Incarnation

Good point and amen.   For me, the life of Christ (and his ability to resist sin as a man [like me]) makes clear my own condemnation because he did what I keep saying that I cannot do.   His death frees me from this consequence.

I would not teach this in a class or pulpit, but I believe that the creator God did not fully understand His own creation in man.   I will not take time to develop this theme scripturally.   I believe the problem centered in the difference between God and man and this thing called "free agency.'   God is not a free moral agent.   He is not temptable  --- therefore there exists no opportunity for sin because of His nature.   He created lots of thing that had no free moral agency  --- trees and dogs and the like.   None of them are capable of worship and reverence.   Christ , thru the prophet David, is quoted in Acts 2 (Peters' sermon) "Thou hast taught me the ways of life."   Although He had emptied Himself of the nature of God,   Christ certainly had vivid memories of what it was like on the other side.   Hebrews makes it clear that He is a better intercessor or high priest because of his human suffering.   He was made to be like us in every way.

I am not sure there is a soteriological impact here, but it is at least interesting to me.   There are lots of things that God cannot do.  He cannot die,  He cannot be tempted.   Resurrection was not an experience of God.   But in the,  dare I say,   person of Christ, He experienced all these things.   Amazing.   He needed to learn why we are all such idiots.   We have to learn what He can do about that.

John

Do you Yahoo!?